My Family

My Family
My Life!

Search This Blog

Saturday, January 9, 2010

Day 1 -- 17 degrees and I'm starting

This truly started this Christmas. My best friend back home handed me a challenge, to run a marathon in a little over a year and 1/2. Her quote was, "If they can do it on the Biggest Loser, then you can!" Thanks to my Jillian! I love you like a sister. I've decided to start blogging about my experience with training for a marathon. If you know me you will understand how this is a great undertaking for me. I have a lot of negatives going against me, my weight, I have asthma, my parents health, the disagreements throughout my family, etc....the list could go on. For now though, I've decided that they are all mental and some of them I have no control over. I have gone to the doctor and have blood work done, everything good. So, I need to grab hold of the one thing that I can control and for years haven't...my health. For the last 39 years, I have put everyone else first and I have come in a very distant last place. Most of that time it was just because it was easy. MY TIME HAS COME! I'm done just coasting through my life, I want and need that change.


Starting today, Jan. 9, 2010, I have started. I've bought the fancy running shoes, I have my Ipod loaded with ass-kicking music and I'm ready! My hubby and I started this morning, in 17 degrees weather... 1 Mile down and lord knows how many more to go..... By the way, I wouldn't have started this journey if it wasn't for my two best friends, Kristin V., the one who handed me the challenge and Sean, my hubby, who without him to kick me in the butt in the morning, I wouldn't be able to do this for the next year and 1/2. Thank you both. To all my friends both near and far, thank you in advance for all of your support. Maybe I can inspire someone through my experience.

2 comments:

  1. Hubby checking in, I can confirm it really was 17 degrees this morning when we commenced our journey to the Rupshakers 5k in March. I am excited about the opportunity to train side by side with NJredneck. I will be with her every step of the way to the 5k. I withdrew some cash from my new lawnmower fund and invested in a custom fitted pair of Pearl Izumi running shoes to pound the pavement in. Being one of the benefactor of NJredneck’s limitless generosity and love I to feel it is time for her to step out of the shadows and shine for all to see. I know from experience that when she sets her mind to do something it can be very difficult to break her spirit. Join me in congratulating NJredneck for taking her first of many steps to achieving her goal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You go, girl! Any time you need some "been there, done that" advice, give me a holla. I didn't do anything athletic -- EVER -- until spring 2008, and I just completed the 2010 Disney Marathon this past Sunday, so your timetable is both realistic and achievable. It sounds trite, but honestly, if I could do it, so can you. Marathon training is mostly mental, and it really helps to be stubborn, so we Jersey girls have got that part down. :-) You're off to a great start!

    ReplyDelete